Increasing Healthcare Employee Engagement & Patient Satisfaction
The number four hospital system in the country, with 40,000 employees, came to us with a multi-faceted problem.
- Their Gallup Q12 results showed low scores for healthcare employee engagement, recognition, and appreciation
- They had dozens of disparate recognition programs in place, all with poor or non-existent tracking mechanisms
- Their company culture was poor and patients were giving them low marks for service.
WorkStride implemented an enterprise-wide flexible and scalable system that included:
- Administrator-controlled budgeting
- Cash award process integrated with their payroll provider
- Communications tools
- Customized reporting and analytics dashboard
- Nomination-based recognition that includes both monetary and non-monetary awards
- Peer-to-peer as well as patient-to-worker recognition
- Tax compliance reporting for payroll
- Training tools on how to effectively recognize others
- The ratio of engaged employees to actively disengaged employees improved by 40%, going from16% below their peer-group average to 17% above.
- The culture changed as employees sent each other over 142,000 awards in the first year—65% of which were non-monetary Appreciation Awards.
- The client’s overall ranking in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) survey of patient satisfaction jumped from about average to among the top 8% of the roughly 4,600 hospitals included.
- The results of the program have been featured in publications such as The Gallup Business Journal and Harvard Business Review, and the hospital recently won the 2015 award for Best Overall Recognition Program from Recognition Professionals International.